Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Promise Rings?

This is my first blog post. Woo-hoo! Anywhocares, I am watching The Today Show as we speak. Don't hate. I like to ease into my day. They just aired a segment on promise rings entitled "Do Promise Rings Work?" What? Of course they do! I mean, just look at how effective wedding rings are in the prevention of infidelity! Jeez.

I'm reminded of an old joke, straight from the annals of "Truly Tasteless Jokes," a mainstay of my pre-teen canon. The joke was something like this: "What's grosser than gross? When your girlfriend does the splits and your best friend's class ring falls out." Substitute "class" for "promise" and you get extra irony points.

That being said, I'm for accessorizing and bling. So if one wishes to add a bit of flair to one's virginity, I don't see the harm in it.

7 comments:

Tankboy said...

Is that back when TTJ actually had a "jokes for the blind" section. Imagine the ruckus THAT would cause if found on bookshelves today.

CerebralSybarite said...

I confess, I saw that segment too. Hey, we don't ALL want to be sluts JB!

Rock on girl.

Cori said...

Congrats on the graduation.

Have you seen the single rings? Talk about lame. They are kind of cool looking though.

JB said...

Are the single rings the same thing as "right hand rings"? If so, yes. I know a lot of divorced women take their engagement diamonds and have them made into said rings. I just don't get why we have to assign meaning to jewelry. If you want some bling, just wear it already.

gina said...

Promise ring. wtf. i had to get knocked up before anyone gave me a damn ring the first time and the second time I got a ring was after dan and I consumed a pitcher of margaritas.

yo mama said...

wait a minute...I haven't done the splits since highschool.....
(she hears what appears to be a coin dropping...)
promises shromises.

Anonymous said...

Dude, aren't the Jonas Brothers like, 12? Let's see who's still wearing a promise ring when they're 23.