Saturday, September 13, 2008

Oh, Sarah.

Due to a narcoleptic fit, I missed the 20/20 Palin interview last night, so I just finished watching it now on the trusty internets. Despite the non-stop agenda of divert, divert, divert coupled with evade, evade, evade (it seemed like Charlie Gibson just kind of threw in the towel towards the end of the interview, he knew he wasn't going to get a straight answer), I almost felt kind of sorry for her. It seems like she honestly believes that Alaska is a microcosm of America as a whole, and that she is therefore qualified to be in office as vice president. When she brought up the sports arena in Wassila, and the fact that she asked the people of town what they wanted as an exposition of her governing style, I was actually embarrassed for her, and a little touched by her naivete. Not "I'm going to vote for you, sister, you're a dreamer" touched, but more touched in the way one is touched when one watches children mimicking phrases and actions they feel are adult.

And, okay, the moose footage was a cheap shot, even by my liberal, pro-animal rights, anti-gun standings. It was awful. The moose was bloody, and clearly not yet dead, and in a great deal of pain. It worked, though. Look what the mean lady did to Bullwinkle!

I found her words of praise and description of Hillary Clinton as a woman with "grit and grace" to be humorous, because I know damn well that if Hillary had won the Democratic nomination, or if Obama had selected her to be his running mate, she would have been depicted as everything that is wrong with liberalism. I don't doubt for a second that the "if she can't control her cheating husband, how can she control a country" argument would have been trotted out in its full regalia.

Also, call me an elitist (because that's never been a criticism hurled my way before), but I want my nation's leaders to not leave off the "g" on the end of words that have a "g." I want someone who is capable of "leading and governing" not "leadin' and governin'." After eight years of Bush's verbal atrocities, I don't think an articulate, well spoken leader who has a command of proper pronunciation is that much to ask for.

One thing is certain: the "Obama doesn't have enough experience to run this country" view should be a dead issue going forward.

UPDATE: Here's the much anticipated Tina-Fey-as-Sarah-Palin footage. My expectations were high, and still they were exceeded.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bet you can guess my Halloween costume. Her glasses are currently on back-order.

JB said...

I hope you're working on the accent! Maybe we could dress up together and I could go as the moose..

CerebralSybarite said...

It doesn't suprise me that you'd manage to get a moose reference in there. If it's not a lobster, it's a moose. I really wonder why you haven't moved to Maine yet.

Leaving off the "g"s - yeah, dead on. George Bush in a skirt.

JB said...

What can I say, I love the flora and fauna of Maine. Regarding the "g," it baffles me when people want an representative of the common people in office. I want someone smarter than me, better educated than me, and more accomplished than me. If I can leave on the "g," well...enough said.

brianfmorrissey said...

http://www.indecision2008.com/video/index.jhtml?videoId=185184